The Writers’ Union of Canada is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until April 24, 2012 for the 16th annual Writing for Children Competition. The winning entry will be the best Canadian work of up to 1,500 words in the English language, fiction or non-fiction, written by an unpublished author.
$1,500 for the winning entry, and the entries of the winner and finalists will be submitted to three Canadian children’s publishers.
Writers Don Calame, Hazel Hutchins, and Rene Schmidt will serve as the jury.
This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have not been published in book format in any genre and who do not currently have a contract with a book publisher. Original and unpublished (English language) fiction or non-fiction is eligible.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES:
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5 x 11 paper, not stapled. Do not send entries that only have a few sentences per page.
- Illustrations are not accepted.
- Submissions will be accepted by hardcopy only.
- Include a separate cover letter with title of story, full name, address, phone number, email address, word count, and number of pages of entry.
- Please type the name of the entrant and the title of the entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Make your cheque or money order payable to The Writers’ Union of Canada. Multiple entries can be submitted together and fees can be added and paid with one cheque or money order, $15 per submission.
- Entries must be postmarked by April 24, 2012 to be eligible.
- Mail entries to: WFC Competition, The Writers’ Union of Canada, 90 Richmond Street East, Suite 200, Toronto, ON M5C 1P1.