Looking for something extra special to do next Friday? Want to rub shoulders with some of the brightest lights in B.C Children’s literature (who may or may not be dressed as Eloise, a Where the Wild Things Are Monster, Tintin, or Charlotte the Spider), and raise money for the BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, all at the same time?
Tickets are $60 (+ applicable taxes), and include:
- drink (including the alcoholic kind – hence the drinking-age stipulation)
- live entertainment by Gale Force Blues Band, Nancy Newman Jazz Trio, and Xray Ted
- a silent auction
- PLUS all attendees will walk away at the end of the evening with a swag bag worth, I’m told, $40.
DRESS THE PART
The event is also costume gala (but if you’re shy, you could come as you!) – Attendees are encouraged to dress as their favourite literary character from a children’s book (could be YA too, if the Velveteen Rabbit just isn’t you….Nancy Drew, a Hardy Boy?)
If you come in costume, you’re eligible for a prize:
- Best Costume from a Children’s Book
- Best Costume from a Canadian Children’s Book
- Best Costume from a CWILL B.C. member’s Book (tip: find a list that includes a lot of CWILL BC member’s books here, or take a look through the bios of CWILL BC authors & illustrators)
SILENT and ONLINE AUCTION
Exceedingly generous sponsors have donated a huge variety of very wonderful items for the silent auction – including bikes, designer clothing, JRR Tolkien collector edition books, hotel stays, scotch, original artwork, laptops etc, etc. (The whole list is here).
bonus: If you can’t make it out for the event, but are still interested in supporting the cause, CWILL BC has posted a small number of auction items on a limited-time online auction (ends at noon on June 13th): bike, books, bed & breakfasts packages, original kids’ book art etc…. (Highest bid between the online auction, and the silent auction at the event wins.)
There are no paid staff or event planners. Everything is run by tireless volunteers. All net proceeds will go to the BC Children’s Hospital foundation.