Do you write stories or poems for children 12 years and younger? Would you like them to be featured under a Reading Light?
Have look at the Reading Lights installed this year by visiting the official website.
The Vancouver Public Library and CWILL BC Society are now seeking submissions of BC books for twenty more ‘lights.’
As part of Year 3, the last year of this initiative, excerpts of stories or poems with associated illustrations from published children’s literature will be featured on permanent plaques (24” high by 7” wide) and placed on lamp posts in Vancouver. The author and illustrator will be highlighted with links to the library for further reading. They are intended to spark an interest in stories and reading for young children up to age 12 while celebrating the work of BC authors and illustrators.
If you are/ or have been a resident of BC for at least 2 years and write or illustrate for children 12 years and younger, please read these submission criteria. Books in English and other languages reflecting the diversity of BC are welcomed.
- The story excerpt or poem must be aimed at young readers, 0 to 12 years.
- Fiction, nonfiction and poetry are all eligible.
- Illustrations must be integral to the text.
- At least one of an author/illustrator team must be/ or have been a resident of BC for 2 years.
- Books must be submitted in print. No electronic copies.
- You may submit up to three books for consideration.
- All permissions must be included with your submission – from the author, illustrator, and publisher. This can be in the form of a letter or a print copy of an email. Include these in your submission package.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- An independent jury of three people will review the submissions and select twenty to feature on lamp posts across Vancouver.
- The design team from VPL will consult with selected authors / illustrators before the plaque is finalized and request a high-quality digital image from the book.
- The plaques will be manufactured and installed at selected sites.
- The anticipated completion of Year 3 of this project is February 2018.
- Books submitted as part of the application process will be donated to the Vancouver Public Library.
Please include this checklist in your submission. All items must be completed.
1._____ Have you included a hard copy of your book specifically aimed at children 12 years and younger?
2._____Is one of your author / illustrator team a resident, or has been a resident of BC for two years?
3._____ Are all print copy permissions included with the submission? (SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNLESS ALL PERMISSIONS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE.)
4.___ Have you included your contact information?
5. Email addresses for:
Send hard copies of all of the above to:
1250 Esquimalt Avenue
West Vancouver, BC
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your submission must be postmarked by April 30, 2017, for consideration.